Belize Work Visa Application
Belize Work Visa application is hassle-free with Tetra Consultants’ assistance.
Generally, if you wish to work in Belize, you will need a Temporary Employment Permit. Otherwise, if you are intending to stay in the country for an extended period of time for other purposes, you may choose to procure a Student Permit, Visitor Permit or Dependent Permit.
Before you apply for a permit, you will need to secure a visa to enter the country.
Foreign travellers originating from countries that qualify for visa-free entry into Belize do not need to procure a visa. As such, they can immediately apply for a permit if they wish to stay in the country for more than 30 days.
To check whether your country qualifies for visa-free entry, you can use the search engine in the Belize Immigration and Nationality Department website.
Introduction to Belize Work Visa Application
- If your home country does not qualify for a visa-free entry, you must get a visa to enter Belize.
- You can apply for a single-entry visa or a multiple-entry visa if you are a holder of a temporary status in Belize. Single-entry visas are valid for 6 months while multiple-entry visas are valid for 1 year.
- To attain the visa, you will have to submit the relevant documents to your nearest Belizean diplomatic or consular mission. The required articles include an application form, passport and flight itinerary.
- Additionally, if your visit is sponsored by another person, you will be required to provide a letter of financial support, the sponsor’s identification, proof of kinship, sponsor’s employment letter and banking financials.
- Otherwise, if you are self-sponsored, you will have to present an employment letter and your banking financials.
- You will be required to state the purpose of your visit in the visa application form.
Belize Work Visa – Permit
- Once you have successfully applied for a visa, you can proceed with your application for the relevant permit if you wish to stay in the country for more than 30 days.
- If your home country qualifies for visa-free entry, you can apply directly for the best relevant permit.
Belize Work Visa – Temporary Employment Permit
- If you intend to work in Belize, you must procure a Temporary Employment Permit to reside in Belize. The relevant fees will differ depending on the type of profession you are employed in.
Step 1: Submission of Application
- Generally, your employer will submit the required documents to the Belize government Labour Department on your behalf. You will be required to hand in 3 photographs as well as a copy of your visa or passport, depending on whether your country qualifies for visa-free entry.
- Self-employed individuals will hand in the application form to the Belize Labour Department. In addition to the application form and other relevant information, they will be required to provide documentary evidence of past employment in an established company with years of a track record for development. Alternatively, if they are planning to set up a company in Belize, they will need to provide a business plan with proof of funding.
Step 2: Notification of application status
- Within 30 days, you will receive a call from the Belize Labour Department to inform you the status of your application.
- Once your application has been approved, you can visit the Labour Department Office to receive a copy of the approval letter.
- In the case that your application has been denied, you must visit the Labour Department to receive a copy of the letter of denial. Afterwards, you need to update your legal status with the government Immigration Department.
Step 3: Issuance of permit
- To attain your permit, you will have to visit the Immigration Office and present your approval letter for the application to be processed. You will have to pay the necessary fees.
- Afterwards, you will need to visit the nearest Belize Tax Service to procure an Income Tax Letter.
- Once you have obtained the Income Tax letter, you will have to show the Income Tax letter, proof of payment and your valid passport to the Immigration Office.
- The Temporary Employment Permit will be issued to you after payment has been verified.
Belize Student Permit
- Individuals who are interested in studying in a Belize educational institution must secure a valid Student Permit before commencing a new school semester.
- Students enrolled at Primary and Secondary Level will be issued a Student Permit for one school year while students enrolled at Tertiary Level will be issued it for one semester.
- To secure a Student Permit, you must send in the relevant documents to the Belize Immigration Office. The necessary articles include a letter from the institution of study, a letter of financial support, 2 passport-size photographs, birth certificate, a letter of authority, passport, proof of Belizean Identity or sponsor’s immigration status, recent bank statement and 1 year return ticket.
Belize Visitor Permit
- If you wish to travel to and stay in Belize for more than 30 days for leisure purposes, you will have to obtain a Visitor Permit. This will allow you to stay in Belize for an additional 30 days.
- During the period, you are not allowed to engage in paid or unpaid employment. Any engagement in business or professional activities will require the approval of the director of Immigration.
Belize Work Visa – Dependent Permit
- A Belize resident can register for a dependent permit for their direct family members. This includes the applicant’s spouse, child, parent or sibling.
- To get a Dependent Permit, you must send the relevant documents to the Belize Immigration Office. The mandated articles include a letter of financial support, passport-size photographs, birth certificate or marriage certificate, letter of authority, passport, proof of Belizean identity, recent bank statement and 1 year return ticket.
Belize Temporary Residence
- Alternatively, you can choose to pursue Belize Temporary Residence if you are not working or studying in Belize and have sufficient money to invest in Belize.
- To qualify for Temporary Residence in Belize, you must present proof that you have invested at least BZ$500,000 in Belize. The Temporary Residence status will be granted to the applicant and his/her dependent(s) for 12 months.
- To secure Belize Temporary Residence, you will have to submit the following documents:
- Police Record
- Letter to Director
- Evidence of Residence in Belize
- Evidence of Investment in Belize
- The Letter to Director will address the director of the Nationality and Immigration Department and explain the applicant’s reason for seeking temporary residency in Belize.
- An interview with the Immigration Office and Police Department will be needed.
Belize Permanent Residence
- If you have successfully procured a Temporary Employment Permit or Temporary Residence status in Belize, you can choose to apply for Permanent Residency after living in Belize for one year.
- To qualify for Belize Permanent Residence, you must have legally resided in Belize for at least 12 months and have not left the country for more than 14 days during the period. You also must not have been convicted in any country of a criminal offence in which you were liable to a sentence of imprisonment of 12 months or more.
- To secure Belize Permanent Residence, you will need to hand in the following articles to the Belize Immigration department:
- Medical Certificate and Tests
- Police Record
- Proof of Financial Stability
- Spouse and Child’s Documentation
- An interview with the Immigration Office and Police Department will be mandatory.
Looking to apply for a Belize work visa?
- Contact us to find out more information about how to apply for a Belize work visa. Our team of experts will revert within the next 24 hours. If you are planning to register company in Belize without any hassle, we can also assist you in getting started with the process without any experience.
How do I get a work permit in Belize?
- To attain a Temporary Employment Permit from the Labour Department you must have a valid passport. You will also have to obtain a Belize visa if your home country is not applicable for visa-free entry. Once your application has been approved, you can collect your employment pass from the nearest Immigration Office after paying for the compulsory fees and procuring an Income Tax Letter.
How long do Belize work visas last?
- A Belize Temporary Employment Permit will typically last for one year unless you are an entertainer or a seasonal agricultural worker. Entertainers who travel to Belize temporarily to hold performances or fan-meetings can seek a work permit for one week while a seasonal agricultural worker will be able to get a work permit that lasts for one crop season.
What is the cost of a Belize visa?
- The cost of a single-entry visa into Belize is generally $200. However, nationals from China will have to pay a $3000 fee for it and nationals from India, Nepal, Thailand, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka have to pay $750. Single-entry visas are valid for 6 months.
- The cost of a multiple-entry visa into Belize is generally $300. However, nationals from China will have to pay $4000 for it while nationals from India, Nepal, Thailand, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka have to pay $1000. Multiple-entry visas are valid for 1 year.
What is the cost of Belize work permit?
- Generally, the cost of Temporary Employment Permits in Belize ranges from $1000 to $3000, depending on the type of profession you are employed in. Professional workers that are holders of a university degree, technical workers and self-employed workers will pay $3000.