International Trademark Registration Services
- Tetra Consultants provide our international clients with International Trademark Registration services in their preferred jurisdictions. Our team is familiar with the different requirements and expectations that come with every international trademark application.
- Consequently, our vast knowledge and expertise enable Tetra Consultants to provide explicit guidance and recommendations, assisting you to successfully register international trademarks.
- Under the protocol enforced by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), it is mandatory for you to submit a domestic application to register your trademark in the country of your origin before filing for an international application.
- For example, if you are an Australian citizen or a business owner of an Australian company, your country of origin in this case will be Australia. As Australia is a member of the Madrid System, you are required to first register your trademark with Australia’s Intellectual Property (IP) Office before filing for an international application.
- Thereafter, Tetra Consultants will complete your International Trademark Registration through a seamless and fuss-free procedure. Upon receiving the required due diligence documents, our team of experienced professionals will proceed ahead with your local and international trademark application.
- Tetra Consultants aims to provide you with a home country registered trademark within 3 to 4 months and a registered International Trademark within 12 months. Our timely completion of deliverables is achieved through a systematic methodology that has worked for us over the years.
- In addition, our team is well-versed with both domestic and international trademark registration requirements and expectations, minimizing delays in the engagement. However, do note that a decision on the scope of protection might take up to 18 months for certain countries under the Madrid Agreement and Protocol.
How to register an international trademark?
Step 1: Knowing the process
- Prior to the start of the engagement, Tetra Consultants will advise on the list of requirements and criteria essential for a smooth registration process. Furthermore, our team will aid you with the preparation of the necessary documentation.
Step 2: Pre-registration of the trademark in the country of origin
- Tetra Consultants will assist you in checking if your trademark fulfills the basic registration criteria. Adherence to the following requirements are essential:
- Registered trademark must be distinctive and unique.
- Registered trademark should not bear confusing similarities to an existing trademark.
- Registered trademark should possess distinguishable features.
- In order to prevent any hindrance or rejection during the registration procedure, Tetra Consultants will conduct a check to ensure that existing trademarks do not possess similar or identical characteristics to your trademark.
- Depending on the number of jurisdictions you are looking to register the trademarks, Tetra Consultants will provide you an estimate of the cost payable to WIPO through the Madrid System. This allows you to be aware of the estimated costs of trademark registration, trademark renewal, taxes and other expenses. For more information, you can refer to the fee calculator provided by WIPO.
Step 3: Trademark registration in country of origin
- Once ready, our team of experts will aid you in filling up your trademark application form with the necessary information. During this process, Tetra Consultants will advise on the class that your trademark falls under.
- Under our guidance, we will ensure that the requirements, as stated below, will be adhered to strictly.
- Name and address of applicant
- A distinct representation of your intended trademark
- A declaration on the use of your intended trademark
- A comprehensive list of goods and services you wish to apply your trademark on.
- Upon submission of the application forms, your trademark application will be reviewed by the local authorities in your country of origin to ensure that the trademark is registrable.
- Over the coming weeks, the local authorities will revert with additional questions and clarifications regarding your application. Tetra Consultants will communicate closely with all parties to ensure the trademark registration is timely secured.
- A public inspection will be conducted and if everything goes well, your trademark will be granted protection for 10 years in your country of origin.
- In the event there are any opposition or unexpected occurrences during the public inspection, Tetra Consultants will communicate with the local authorities and relevant parties on your behalf.
Step 4: International trademark application
- After a successful domestic trademark registration in your country of origin, Tetra Consultants proceed with international trademark registration by filing for an international application under the Madrid system. The Madrid system allows you to apply for trademark protection in up to 122 countries, within a single application.
- Tetra Consultants will assist you in resolving any irregularities highlighted by WIPO within the stipulated deadline. Otherwise, if there are no issues with the submitted application, WIPO will record your mark in the International Register and publish it in the WIPO Gazette of International Marks. Consequently, the Office of each member appointed in your international application will be notified and you will receive your Certificate of Registration for your trademark.
- Thereafter, WIPO will forward the application to the Office of each designated Contracting Party. The scope of protection will then be decided by each respective Office after examining the trademark in accordance with its nation’s domestic laws.
Why should you proceed with an international trademark registration?
- A registered trademark grants the holder with exclusive rights and ownership of the trademark. Tetra Consultants highly encourages you to register a trademark as it prevents any unauthorized usage of the trademark. Furthermore, a registered trademark grants its legal holder rights against parties who carry out activities which are damaging to your company with similar marks.
- A registered trademark protects its legal holder against potential infringement issues. The total cost and expense to register a trademark are minimal in comparison to fees arising from potential lawsuits.
- Also, a registered trademark allows you to differentiate and recognise your exemplary products and services with ease. It provides an increase in the value of your business. With the help of a registered trademark, legal trademark holders can communicate the quality or unique characteristic of your brand effectively.
- As your corporate entity gains business prosperity, the intrinsic value of your trademark increases. Competitors might attempt to leverage on your positive corporate brand image by adopting similar marks tagged to your company. Hence, a registered trademark deters any likely copyright issues in the future.
Contact us to find out more about Tetra Consultants’ international trademark registration service. Our team of experts will revert within the next 24 hours.
How long does the trademark protection last?
- Generally, trademark protection is valid for 10 years. However, once registered, it can be renewed for indefinitely upon payment of renewal fees.
What kind of trademarks can be registered?
- Unique and distinctive words, letters or numerals can constitute as a registrable trademark. Additionally, drawings, symbols, scents or fragrances can be used as a distinguishable trademark as well.
What does the trademark protection cover?
- The trademark protection grants its holder exclusive rights and ownership to the usage of the registered trademark. Legal actions can be taken by its legal holder against any unauthorized usage by another party.
What are the advantages of the Madrid system?
- Trademark applicants can apply for trademark protection in multiple countries through a single application and pay only one set of application fees. As such, the trademark registration procedure through the Madrid system is simple and economical.
When do I have to renew my trademarks?
- You can renew your international trademark any time before the 10-year protection expires or within 6 months following the date of expiration.
How do I renew my trademark protection?
- Tetra Consultants will file for a renewal request through an e-Renewal under the Madrid system. Our team of professionals will file your renewal requests 3 months prior to the date of expiration. The time-saving procedure allows you to select the contracting partners you wish to renew your trademark registration with.