Brunei Work Visa Application
Brunei Work visa is required to be possessed by foreign business owners and employees in order to engage in any form of work in Brunei Darussalam. The application process may be cumbersome if you do not know the steps you need to undertake. Hence, Tetra Consultants will assist you with the application process.
Through this guide, you will understand the two types of Visas available for you to choose from along with the step by step guide showcasing how you can obtain the same.
Types of Brunei Work Visa available
Brunei Visitor Visa (BVV)
- Individuals who need entry into Brunei for work related purposes such as meetings, contract signing, negotiations, purchasing and selling goods, and more can apply for this form of Visa.
- It is a short-term pass valid for up to three months that foreign individuals can apply for.
- Individuals from the member countries of the Asian-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) with an APEC Business Travel Card endorsed with “Valid to travel to BRN” and travelling for short-term business activities may not be required to obtain a Visitor Visa. The time period for such a visit, however, is limited and differs from country to country.
- The following countries are exempted from obtaining a Brunei Visa for up to a 14 day period:
- Costa Rica
- Hong Kong
- The following countries are exempted from obtaining a Brunei Visa for up to a 30 day period:
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
- The following countries are exempted from obtaining a Brunei Visa for up to a 90 day period:
- European Union
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
Brunei Employment Visa
- Individuals who must travel to Brunei for work purposes for a relatively long time period or for long-term employment can apply for this visa.
- It is a long-term pass that allows foreign individuals to enter and work in Brunei for up to two years which can be further renewed.
- Citizens of Malaysia and Singapore are exempted from obtaining it.
- Individuals who have this visa for a period greater than 3 months must also register with the Immigration and National Registration Department for a Green Identity Card (IC) using the National Registration Identity Card System. The validity of this Green Identity Card is the same as the validity of the Brunei Work Visa.
- To understand the process of obtaining such a visa, please refer to the next section.
How to Obtain a Brunei Work Visa?
- In order to obtain a valid visa to conduct work activities in Brunei, you must first understand the steps you need to follow. This will ensure a smooth and hassle-free application process. Tetra Consultants will advise you on which visa would be best suited to you and then assist you in obtaining the same.
Step 1: Apply for Lesen Pekeria Asing (LPA)
- The business must have completed Brunei company registration with the Registry of Companies and Business Names and is then required to register and advertise news of all the vacancies available at their firm.
- You must also obtain the necessary clearance from the JOBCentre Brunei (JCB).
- Besides this, the Employees Trust Fund (Tabung Amanah Pekerja) must endorse the business.
- Once approval for the LPA is received, you must deposit a certain amount with the finance unit of the Department of Labour.
- Tetra Consultants will assist you in completing this process.
Step 2: Pre-application requirement
- You will need to prepare the following documents:
- Valid passport of the applicant
- Business registration certificate of the place of employment
- Application letter from the business
- Employment contract
- Application form (Form 23)
- You must also undergo a medical check-up at a reputable health care centre as per the terms and conditions set by the Ministry of Health of Brunei.
- Tetra Consultants will inform you about all the requirements you will need to meet.
Step 3: Employment Visa Application
- Once all the pre-application steps are completed, Tetra Consultants will apply to the Department of Immigration and National Registration to obtain the visa.
Step 4: Staying Compliant with government policies
- The visa obtained will only be valid for up to two years. Once this period is over, you will have to renew the license every two years. Tetra Consultants can help with the same.
- Moreover, within six months of approval, the Department of Labour will conduct a mandatory inspection to see if the employer and employee are completely compliant with the government regulations and whether the employee has a valid work visa.
- Tetra Consultants will assist you in obtaining the needed work visa for employing foreign individuals. The LPA approval will be received within 2 weeks of application. Following this, foreign individuals can obtain the employment pass within 5 working days. All in all, the entire application process should be completed within 3 weeks.
How we can help you obtain a Brunei work visa
- Tetra Consultants will advise you on the best-suited work visa for your business. We will then proceed to apply for a visa on your behalf while ensuring that you are compliant with all the official regulations.
- Contact us now for more information on Brunei Work Visa and how to secure it for your business. Our dedicated and experienced team of experts will revert within the next 24 hours.
Are foreigners allowed to work in Brunei?
- Yes, foreigners are permitted to work in Brunei provided that they obtain a valid employment pass prior to entering the country.
If I need to travel to Brunei for work purposes, what type of visa do I need to apply for?
- The Work Visa you will need to obtain depends on whether your employer has a registered business in Brunei along with the duration of your stay.
- If you have to stay in Brunei for a longer time period, you should apply for an Employment Visa; however, for a shorter stay period, you should apply for a Visitor’s visa.
How can I get a Brunei Work Visa?
- In order to obtain a Work visa, you must prepare the necessary documents including your passport, contract from the employer, and more.
- Prior to this, your employer must apply for an Lesen Pekeria Asing (LPA) which allows them to hire foreign citizens.
- You will then be asked to submit the prepared documents along with the Application Form (Form 23) to the Department of Immigration and National Registration.
Do people in Brunei speak English?
- In Brunei, English is the official language that is spoken by most of the population. However, people also converse in Malay.
How long will the Visa be valid for?
- If you have obtained a Visitor’s Visa, the validity for the visa is up to three months.
- If you have obtained an Employment Visa, the validity for the visa is up to two years.
- An individual can renew their visa once the visa has expired with the Department of Immigration and National Registration.